Saturday, May 30, 2009

Reflections on the Past 4 Years - Part III

When thinking about the past 4 years, school and church life are of course at the forefront of the remembrances. The truth is, however, that there are far more memories, relationships and blessings that have happened outside of these two contexts. Here are just a few more of my final reflections about the past 4 years:

First, it was almost 22 months ago that our daughter was born. As I think about our time here, my memories are filled with late night awakenings, mid-afternoon naps (with Bailey sleeping on my chest), and tons of fun with the people of Edom as Bailey's area of exploration has grown over the past 22 months. They had warned us that drinking the water at the parsonage has caused more than one preaching family to leave this place with a larger family than what they had arrived with!

One of my greatest joys the last two years we have spent here has been serving on the volunteer fire department. There is nothing like going into a burning building to get the adrenaline pumping. In the two years of service to the department I have had the privilege of working hundreds of calls from medical crisis to structure fires, grass fires to motor vehicle accidents, downed power lines to high moving water rescues. It has been a part of me becoming more entrenched in the community. It has been an extension of my ministry---there is simply nothing like showing up on an accident scene and having the person ask you "aren't you that Methodist preacher?" and then them asking you to pray with them. I will definitely miss going on calls in my new appointment.

Other ministry has included working with the teenagers at Sundown Ranch. Sundown is a residential treatment and recovery center about 20 miles away from home that has its own school (to where kids don't lose out on their education while working their programs). I have spent numerous afternoons with young men processing their 5th steps. It has served to ground my own recovery and to continually allow me to give back in an area that I am passionate about.

The friendships that have been made here have transcended denominational lines. As such, I have had the opportunity to work with other pastors in their ministry settings as well. There are many friendships from outside the church that I will take with me into future years.

I am grateful for the relationships that I have built with city and county officials. It is funny that the JP that was elected when I first got here, I met because of a speeding ticket I received on the way to school one morning. The current JP is a fellow hunter and sojourner in ministry and is an amazing man. He is a great example of how ministry happens with the laity in any job and any situation. The current mayor has also been a blessing to my time here...it has not gone unnoticed that when there is a city event (like the Christmas tree lightings) that in spite of her attending another church, she has continued to invite me to do the invocations (that has been a real blessing).

I had an experience once where I was standing between the county constable and the JP and I just busted out laughing. They looked at me and wondered what was so funny and I told them that this is only the second time in 12 years that I have stood between a cop and a judge and not been in handcuffs (they both know about my past struggles with addiction). They laughed heartily...after all, it is the little things in life that are important!

A couple of years ago, I did something I hadn't done since high school...I performed a lead in a play at the community center. The play was A Sanders Family Christmas and was a hoot to do. Later that year, I received two awards for my performance (best actor and best newcomer)...I am still not sure that they were deserved, but I welcome them as it is probably as close as I will ever get to winning any other awards for my acting and singing (thank goodness the lead wasn't supposed to be able to carry a tune in a bucket...that was right up my alley!)

Of course we can't forget about all of the outdoor activities available here in the country. I have been no more than 10 minutes away from my hunting spots for the past 4 years. Trust me when I say that this will be incredibly missed. Some of my new best friends are hunters here in Edom. That reminds me, how many Edomites does it take to track down and pull a deer out of the woods? Apparently 3...the JP, the plumber and the preacher! One night I shot a deer with my bow and arrow and it was a good shot, but she ran 40 yards into the deep thicket of woods off of the hunting trail. It took us some time to track and find her and since it was after dark, my buddy Boyd and I (I had called him to help me out) called the JP to drive up to the road with his lights on so we could find our way back to the main trail...absolutely hilarious! I have been able to play golf on a couple of different courses. I have also been able to fish some of the local fishing holes. I have been blessed.

I am leaving here probably knowing as many people outside the church as I do inside the church. They have all touched my life in meaningful ways...and I pray in some small way, that I have been a blessing to their lives.

Thank you Edom. Thank you Sexton Chapel. Thank you Mt. Sylvan. Thank you for all the friendships, blessings and memories that are now a part of the fabric of my life.

2 comments:

Brook said...

Well first, I love to joke abt how many Edom people it take to get a deer out of the woods, me and mom laughed.
Second, You will be sooooooo ooooo ooooo missed.. wat will we do at christmas and stuff with out U and Bailey and Erica..Boyd will not have a girlfriend no more that just lives down the road and who will he talk to at church??? lol!!!!
Third and last, U better come back and vist us every chance u get.. I dont know wat i do with out seeing all yall... And tell Demonie that we miss him too..

Will miss u Russell,
Love Brook

Russell said...

Brook,

We are going to miss all of you all too! We won't know where to eat on every other Saturday night...what family meal will we crash? We will also miss the pool, the Easter egg hunts, the lockins, the shopping sprees and just plain hanging out. Remember that visitation is a two way street...if ever you all want to come to the coast to play in the sun and fish, just let us know!