Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 16, 2009

Today I graduate with my third degree, a Masters of Divinity degree from Perkins School of Theology. As I look upon my own graduation and look around me at others graduating at this time of year, I am thinking a lot about what the future has in store.

A few years ago, when I graduated and received my Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Houston, I was given a book entitled Prayers and Promises for the Graduate. In light of the graduations that will be occurring from now through the beginning of June, I thought it apropos to share with you all some of the prayers from this book. This book is designed around about 25 themes, things that graduates of all ages will face in their lives. So while the title of the book suggests that these prayers are for graduates, I would suggest that the scriptures and prayers are for all people.

Here is today's prayer:

"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger (Proverbs 15:1, NKJV)

When someone says words that hurt, I usually want to cause pain in return. But Your Word tells me that's not the right response, even if it is my first thought. My harsh anger does not benefit me or the other person. Instead, we'll end up in a circle of wrath that will last as long as our hard words and painful memories remain.

I don't want to live that way, Lord. Instead, I'd like to have Your peace in every corner of my life. So when that harsh answer leaps to my mind, help me bite my tongue. Please give me soft, appealing words that will ease the situation instead of escalating it. Amen.


From Prayers and Promises for the Graduate, pg. 11

No comments: