Thursday, May 14, 2009

May 14, 2009

Here is today's prayer (another good one for evening reflection, but can be substituted for morning prayer time if used to reflect upon the prior day or the prior week):

O merciful Father, who dost look down upon the weakness of Thy human children more in pity than in anger, and more in love than in pity, let me now in thy holy presence inquire into the secrets of my heart.

Have I today done anything to fulfill the purpose for which Thou didst cause me to be born?
Have I accepted such opportunities of service as Thou in Thy wisdom has set before my feet?
Have I performed without omission the plain duties of the day?
Give me grace to answer honestly, O God.

Have I today done anything to tarnish my Christian ideal of humanity?
Have I been lazy in body or languid in spirit?
Have I wrongfully indulged my bodily appetites?
Have I kept my imagination pure and healthy?
Have I been scrupulously honorable in all my business dealings?
Have I been transparently sincere in all I have professed to be, to feel, or to do?
Give me grace to answer honestly, O God.

Have I tried today to see myself as others see me?
Have I made more excuses for myself than I have been willing to make for others?
Have I, in my own home, been a peace-maker or have I stirred up strife?
Have I, while professing noble sentiments for great causes and distant objects, failed even in common charity and courtesy towards those nearest to me?
Give me grace to answer honestly, O God.

O Thou whose infinite love, made manifest in Jesus Christ, alone has power to destroy the empire of evil in my soul, grant that with each day that passes I may more and more be delivered from my besetting sins. Amen.

-From A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie

*I have substituted humanity for the word manhood in the original text.

No comments: