Monday, January 12, 2009

New Church on the Charge

While we thought that yesterday's meeting was going to be just about the merger, the DS also asked permission to place another church on the charge...

...and, as of today, it is official - I am now pastoring Edom UMC (with the new additions from Sexton Chapel) plus Mt. Sylvan UMC here in East Texas.

This new church brings another rich and long history of United Methodism into the mix. It is a smaller congregation that Edom (which has 227 members), but larger than Sexton was (at 17 members when it merged). There are 66 members at Mt. Sylvan UMC with an average worship attendance of about 25-30 on Sunday mornings.

That means I now have 3 offices (home, Edom, and Mt. Sylvan)! I plan on spending time each week in the Mt. Sylvan community and in the church office there...what this looks like exactly, I do not know. While it would be great to have set days each week, I am not sure that my local, district and conference level commitments will permit that every week. So I may have to settle for an amount of time each week for these endeavors rather than specific days. More will be revealed.

I had a tour of the grounds today there are four separate buildings that include the Sanctuary, the fellowship hall, the Sunday school annex, and a parsonage (which is rented out---I will remain a resident of Edom) plus a small playground for the children. I didn't have my camera with me today, but will post pictures as soon as I can (I have a couple from my cellphone that I may be able to get uploaded this evening).

I met with the PPR chair today and found out much about the history and current ministries of the church. I appreciated her candor, honesty and authenticity and am looking forward to the time that I will have serving this congregation.

Stay tuned for more coming down the pike...it is never a dull moment around here!

No comments: