Friday, January 16, 2015

Where you want my focus

I had a very wise friend/mentor/sponsor tell me once, "Russell, whatever you spend the most time focused on in any given day...that will become your God for that day."  This could mean an individual in my life, or my schedule, or my job, or any number of things.  As I reflected on those words, and have frequently revisited them; I am taken back by how many things I can let interfere with my focus on God.  Sometimes it is things that I think are of great importance and sometimes it is the voices of my critics that edge my focus away from God.

In the psalms, there is a song that was sung on the way to worship that addresses our focus.  I have provided the first couple of verses below from The Voice translation/paraphrase:

Psalm 123

A song for those journeying to worship.

I raise my eyes to fix my gaze on You,
    for Your throne resides in the heavens.
Just as the eyes of servants
    closely watch the hand of their masters,
Just as a maid carefully observes
    the slightest gesture of her mistress,
In the same way we look to You, Eternal One,
    waiting for our God to pour out His mercy upon us.

Today's Prayer:

Gracious God, help us to keep our focus on you today.  Keep us from allowing the distractions of critics and being busy to take your place in our hearts.  Help us to see the mercies you promise, made new each day, once again in our lives this day. We give you thanks for your faithfulness.  Amen.




No comments: