Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hope for Today

Today we will celebrate the life of Gerald Morgan.  I am grateful for the opportunity to preside at his services.  Frequently, at some point in these types of services, the 23rd Psalm is recited as a text of hope.  I thought it appropriate to allow the 23rd Psalm to be our prayer for today.  I wanted to share it with you from a different translation/paraphrase than most of us are accustomed to reading or hearing in hopes that it may resonate with you in a new and deeper way.  So today's version of the 23rd Psalm comes to us from The Voice:

Today's Prayer:

The Eternal is my shepherd, He cares for me always.
He provides me rest in rich, green fields
    beside streams of refreshing water.
    He soothes my fears;
He makes me whole again,
    steering me off worn, hard paths
    to roads where truth and righteousness echo His name.
Even in the unending shadows of death’s darkness,
    I am not overcome by fear.
Because You are with me in those dark moments,
    near with Your protection and guidance,
    I am comforted.
You spread out a table before me,
    provisions in the midst of attack from my enemies;
You care for all my needs, anointing my head with soothing, fragrant oil,
    filling my cup again and again with Your grace.
Certainly Your faithful protection and loving provision will pursue me
    where I go, always, everywhere.
I will always be with the Eternal,
    in Your house forever.

No comments: