Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Alive in Christ

I was reading a Bible study once that Bill Hybels and John Ortberg had co-written while they were both at Willow Creek.  There was a story there about a woman who was always at the church everytime the doors were open.  She was on many a committee and team and always seemed to be doing things for God.  Yet the text said that in all of her busy-ness with the work of God, she completely missed the fullness of the presence of God.  I took this to mean that while she appeared to be alive on the outside, she was missing the life giving presence of God on the inside.  Simply put, she was dead even though she appeared to be alive.  We have heard that we shouldn't judge books by their covers because the inside may not always match the outside.  I know that there have been times in my life that this is true for me.  Times where I have put on a smile even though I was breaking on the inside.  Times where I have showed up to do some church activity, something that was completely honoring to God, but my heart wasn't in it.  I may have appearted alive on the outside, but my insides didn't match.

Revelation 3:1-6 "To the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. 4 Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels. 6 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Today's Prayer:
Holy God, we want our insides and our outsides to match; both individually and corporately as a church body.  Help us to see where we have put on masks and facades.  Help us to remove those false images of who we are, and allow us to more fully live in our created image - in the image of you.  God, where there are dead spots in our lives and in our faith, renew them with the eternal life that you have promised us and that you are always faithful to give.  Amen.

No comments: