Friday, January 9, 2015

Prayer for Protection

Tomorrow my daughter will attend her first UIL competition.  She was selected as an alternate at her school for her grade.  This means that she will likely not compete.  She seems quite alright with this, and for that I am grateful.  But I wonder what is really going on on the inside.  I think that we have done all the right things we can do as parents to prepare her for rejection and for not always winning at everything she does; but today I am thinking about protection as it relates to her.

Now when we talk about protection in general terms we usually use such terminology for the safe-gaurding of our troops or protection for those who are traveling; but truth be told, we all need protection in our every day eating, breathing, walking around lives.  My daughter needs protection of her spirit and her self worth.  I want her to continually know that her well being and her value are heavenly and not just earthly.  I want her to know that God has made her special and unique and that her value is found in being made in the image of her creator.

And for my friends and parishoners, I want them too to know that the situation or circumstances they find themselves in don't have to define their worth or identity.  So today, I look to the Psalms for the beginnings of God's protection on all of us that need it spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Psalm 5:11-12 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. 12 For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Today's Prayer:
Holy God, may the words of the psalmist be our mantra today.  May we remember and repeat them in each of our trials and challenges.  May the promise of protection that these words represent become the reality for each of us who prays them.  Protect us O God, from all types of evil and wrong-doing.  Keep us within the span of your shield that we may be kept from harm, no matter what the threat is to us this day.  We give you thanks and praise.  Amen.

No comments: