Monday, January 28, 2013

Airports and Worship, Indian Style

We have certainly had a lot of adventures in airports this trip.  From names not recognized to wrong dates on tickets, we have experienced the difference between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd world airports on this trip to India.

Our last domestic flight was adventurous in a different way.  So far, to the best of my recollection, there have been three separate instances where security took a closer look at us.  The first was in London when David got the once over.  The second was when my batteries (AA and AAA) were confiscated.  As we were going through security in Lucknow, I was pulled aside and asked to open one of my carry on bags.  I had inadvertently packed my Bible in carryon baggage instead of my checked baggage...I am carrying a rather large study bible with the metal tabs at the start of each book of the bible for easier reference...and apparently this caused a big stir at the X-ray machine.

I opened my bag and as I did, the guard in front of me said book in a loud voice to someone over his shoulder.  Without even thinking, I corrected the guard saying it was a bible.  This caused what appeared to be a problem as I nervously watched the armed officer with the most stripes hurried over to me repeating the word bible twice.

What happened next took me completely by surprise.  He took my bible in his hands and bowed to it until it was at the edge of his forehead, touching gently.  He then moved the bible to the edge of his lips and kissed its cover.  Opening and peaking inside at the words written in English, he then closed the bible and repeated the process.  When he was finished, they gently replaced the bible back in to its original spot and had me to move on.

It was an amazing amount of respect shown to the scriptures.  I have no knowledge of the officers
faith or from what religion he came from...regardless, it was still a very moving and humbling
experience.

On a completely separate note, some of you all have asked what worship has been like.  I submit to you the following video excerpt from today's worship to give you a taste.  I will provide additional examples when I can get them from other devices once I get home.  As you can see from this clip, worship is demonstrative and engaging getting a lot of participation from those gathered.  Enjoy!


No comments: