Saturday, January 12, 2013

7 days and counting

It is a bit surreal knowing that this time next week I will be heading to the airport to get on a plane to go to India.  I have prepared my part of the teachings.  I have shopped for the trip's necessities.  I have been reading local news (local to them) to get some contextual understanding.  I have been meeting with my mentor/travel companion/friend.  And now I am stuck in that hurry up and wait holding pattern that I seem to get into before all big trips.

Even with all of the preparations, there is still much that is unknown.  Even with the knowledge that faithfulness and obedience are recognized and used by God, there are still some feelings of inadequacy. While not paralyzed by the fear and reality of these and other feelings that are coursing through me with the adrenaline and excitement for the adventure itself, they are my realities at the moment.

Things that I have heard all along my faith journey, I'm convinced are already taking on new meaning.  While I have traveled to some other parts of the world before for missions and fun, this is the furthest I have ever traveled from home (more than 8800 miles).  I imagine the thoughts and feelings that I am experiencing are not unique to me.  Suddenly being a stranger in a foreign land is having a different impact on me.  I have no idea what God is or will be doing in me...and I have no idea of what God is going to do thru me (praying it is something significant for the kingdom), I just know that I'm going and in that going is a certain amount of fear and uncertainty.

I am, however, an adventurer at heart.  Perhaps that is why camping, hiking, geocaching, firefighting, and trips in general are so appealing to me.  I am overwhelmed with curiosity and the anticipation of
new things and experiences.  I am excited to see and speak with people that have literally a completely different world view and understanding.  I am dying to see how faith is lived out in a part of the world where faithfulness has real life and death consequences.  There are some things that you can read about all your life, but they just don't become real until you experience them.  I am going to get to see what Mother Teresa saw.  I am going to probably go right by the slums that were in the movie slum dog millionaire.  I am going to feel and experience the vastness of disparity and look for and witness to real hope.  So in all of these ways I am incredibly stoked and can't wait to get the trip started.

So here I sit, blogging about being caught between the avalanche of feelings and chemical reactions that are unleashed in my being at the moment involving my trip.  I'm sure it's going to be one heck of a roller coaster ride and I can't wait (for the most part) for it to begin.


I will continue to pray and prepare the best way I know how.  I would appreciate it if you would join me in that endeavor.  Also, feel free to share your thoughts on long trips and how you cope and prepare in the comments section below.

No comments: