Tuesday, January 15, 2013

4 Days and Counting

Actually, it is about 85 hours away - just over 3.5 days - until my family drops me off to go to the airport and I fly to India.  I should be packing (and maybe I'll do a little before the night is done), but I am not.

This has been an interesting time of preparation.  When I committed to go on the trip, I was so uncertain about being able to raise the funds I needed to be able to go.  Needless to say, I have been provided for. Just this week several folks have come out of the wood work and surprised me with needed funds to finish out my commitment financially for the trip.  Likewise, a few months back, I had a visit with immigration in Canada while I was traveling, so when I went to get my visa for my trip to India, I expected to have issues...but I didn't, the way was made clear.  When I began to prepare my material for my teaching times, I thought I was way over preparing, but now another member of the team may not be able to make it because of visa delays due to back to back trips and I see that I am more than prepared to help take on additional teaching responsibilities should that become necessary.  Lack has been replaced with provision, doubt with faith, and fear with peace (at least as far as the trip is concerned...nobody is perfect).

Today I visited with several folks that have been battling illness (add Pre-trip health to my growing list of blessings) and I have been caused to think about the healthcare situation in India.  With a population of more than 1.2 billion people and home to some of the largest poorest slums in the world, to say that India has a healthcare issue would be an understatement.  From malnutrition to typhoid, malaria to hepatitis (especially types A and B), the list of issues far surmounts the resources necessary to provide for all those needs.

I do know that there are doctors (at least a couple from the states) that have moved to India to provide ongoing help to so many in need.  But from the outside looking in, it appears to me to be little more than a pebble sized ripple in an ocean of need.

I think about the blessing of having insurance and being able to see the doctors I want and need to see and then I remember that even here in the states there are millions that are uninsured or under insured and unable to get the healthcare and treatment they need.

Whether India or the United States (or anywhere else in the world), too many people are not getting the help that they need...help that is available, just cost prohibited.  Here are the questions that this situation is bringing up for me:  1) if we believe in the sanctity of life, why don't we provide healthcare in equitable ways?  2) is it even possible in the current world economic order to accomplish this?  3) if so, how?  4) if so, why don't we?  And finally, what is our theological responsibility (or put maybe a better way, what is our responsibility in carrying out the healing ministries of the kingdom of God in doing
so)?

Again, I have no answers.  I will try to give some more theological thought and substance to my thinking during and after my trip to India; but in the mean time, I invite you to share your thoughts and answers.

No comments: