Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Post of Thanksgiving

I tweeted (and consequently updated my Facebook status) recently with some good news. I thought that I would shoot off a brief post about the joys that we are celebrating in the Hall household.

First, I am thankful that after more than 8 continuous years of school, I will finally fulfill the minimum requirements for ordination in my denomination (more simply put, I will graduate with my MDiv degree). I think that Erica is even more thankful about this since I have been in school from the day that we met! It will be interesting to grow in our relationship without the school factor (at least for a couple of years until I begin my DMin degree!)

Second, I am thankful that I have been approved to be commissioned at our next Annual Conference in May. Who'd have thunk it!?!

Third, and this is new news for some (as it has just been made official in the last few days), Erica, Bailey, and I will be moving to Port Arthur somewhere between June 8th and 13th. My new appointment consists of 3/4 of my time as the pastor of Aldersgate Trinity UMC and 1/4 time as the associate of the United Methodist Temple. We are hopeful that during our time there we might be able to birth a Mercy Street type ministry that will permit me to work with others in recovery (and in need of recovery) from alcohol and drug addiction.

Finally, for all of the support, prayers, calls, notes, IMs, status comments, tweets, etc. that you all have sent, we are very thankful.

It seems as though someone somewhere must think I have been slacking off, because with all the celebration and change comes a ton of work the next two months. For those curious about what is coming down the pike, here is a glimpse:

This weekend will be relatively calm after more than 1000 miles traveled in the last five days.

Palm Sunday weekend we are having Shelly Wilson and Kerri Crocker in concert at our block party at Edom UMC on Saturday (April 4th) and then they will be leading worship for us on Palm Sunday (April 5th).

April 13th and 14th we will be hosting the Crafts as they come to see the community that they will be moving to in June (Jeff Craft will be Edom and Mt. Sylvan's new pastor).

April 18th and 19th will be the big April in Edom event that both the church and fire department take active roles in.

Erica, Bailey and I will be traveling and attempting to relax for a few days between April 19th and 24th.

I will be guest speaking/leading a retreat for the Chapelwood UMC singles group the evening of the 24th through Sunday the 26th.

I will be attending NCLI (boot camp for new church/ministry starts) from May 5th through 8th.

I will be graduating on the 16th.

I will be commissioned during the week of Memorial Day.

We will be moving sometime between the 8th and the 13th.

As you can see there is a lot ahead of us.

Now for you all to chime in:

Tell us what are you thankful for and what you are up to during the next couple of months.

3 comments:

Kerry Sumpter Smith said...

I pooped just reading that!!! God is working and moving in you Pastor Russell! I am blessed to know you!!!

Kerry Sumpter Smith said...

How can I edit my post? I'm pooped! Not I pooped!

TG said...

WOW! Yes, I tired too. What a busy time ahead. My prayer is that there will be a calm, peace and structure to it all despite the busyness. God be with you three in your journey and welcome back to the Gulf Coast! We promise to come see you. Let's go camping at the Sea Rim State Park, once it reopens, sometime! :)
Blessings, The Grandersons