Thursday, August 7, 2014

Morning Reflections - God's joy for us

This morning, as I sit on the back patio and watch the light begin to filter through the trees, I am looking at the days that have gone by and the day that lies ahead of me.  As I sit here, different people drift into my thoughts, and I say a little prayer for them.  And in the midst of this morning time of meditation, I am reminded of words that were once written to me on a note of encouragement very early in my ministry.

Here are those words:
The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing.”

This comes from chapter 3 verse 17 of Zephaniah.  When I first saw these words, I remember the challenges of those early days and for me this was just a reminder that the God I serve, whose face is Jesus, loves me and rejoices over me.

I have many friends and acquaintances who are going through trying times today for a variety of reasons.  And for some who read this devotion, I may not know exactly what you are going through.  But my hope is that these words might bring comfort to you today and in days to come.

Today's prayer - God we give you thanks that you are with us.  We give you thanks that when our strength is not enough, yours is always sufficient.  It is hard for us to believe, sometimes, that you would delight in us to the point of rejoicing over us in singing.  Lord, help us to see ourselves and others as you see us.  Help us to delight and rejoice over your children as you do.  Draw us close in your embrace and hold us through all that we will face in the days to come.  Amen.