Saturday, August 9, 2014

Morning Reflections - Abide in Him

Billy Graham said, we are the Bibles the world is reading; we are the creeds the world is needing; we are the sermons the world is heeding."

I think about this quote and I wonder what Bible, what creed, and what sermon I am portraying to the world around me.  Are these things the world is seeing from me consistent with my faith?  Am I being a God honoring reflection of what God's done for me?  Put another way, am I practicing what I preach?

I think when we are rigorously honest with ourselves, we can admit that there are times when we can answer in the affirmative and of course, there are times when the answer is no.  It really comes down to the question of whether or not we are abiding or remaining in grace; if we are abiding in Christ.

The Gospel of John reads, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:1-4

Today's prayer - God take away from me everything that stands in the way of my relationship with you and with others.  Fill me up to the point of overflowing.  Allow us to remain in you so completely that we no longer can distinguish where we end and you begin.  Then use us for the glory of your Kingdom.  For it is in the name of the one who remains in us, in Christ's name, that we pray.


No comments: