Tuesday, December 9, 2008

That's Mine

There is something that I just don't understand. If you give something to someone or something (organization, that is), then it is no longer yours, right!?! I mean, if you take it back after giving it away, isn't that what used to cause fights when we were younger and give us a reason to call each other names (as politically incorrect as they may be) like Indian giver?

And certainly, in a church that has been around for more than 100 years, with many of the existing members being lifetime participants in that local church, you would think that they would understand what giving meant, right!?!

As many of the previous posts note, the smaller of the two churches I serve is voting to end services and merge with the larger church. This past weekend, while directing a major Christmas outreach with 6 other churches (I will post more about this separately with some amazing pictures), I received a phone call from one of those life long members of the little church. I was told of all the things that this individual and their family had done for the church...and then the conversation took a turn that was really unexpected...this individual began to give me a laundry list of things that they wanted back. These were things that had been "given" to the church, but since the church wasn't going to be open any more, the individual said "that's mine" and "I want it back".

Let me assure you based upon my most recent experience, that it is futile to attempt any kind of conversation relating to church assets (and how they would transfer to the other church for their discernment of how to steward them) or to try and distinguish between giving and lending.

At the end of the day, all that was feasible was to announce that any personal property at the church had to be removed this week, otherwise it would be considered an asset of the church and would go in the merger. And wouldn't you know, it didn't even end there. I was then told that so and so gave this and so and so gave the microwave and that they may want it back (a decade later?).

I am simply frustrated at our possessiveness and our lack of trust. I am flabbergasted that we don't practice better stewardship than this. I am disappointed that they can't see that these things may end up being a blessing to those who would take this facility over.

It just makes me wonder when we lost our understanding of what it means to give a gift.

It also reminds me of just how grateful I am that God does not give like we sometimes give.

I would appreciate your prayers, both for me and the members of this church, as we navigate this messy highway of church merger.

No comments: