Sunday, November 30, 2008

Church Closing - A Follow-up

I know that many of you have been both concerned and curious about how it went a week ago at the smaller of the two churches that I serve. Before I go there, let me first thank you for the comments, the emails, the phone calls, and the prayers through this interesting and difficult time. Second, let me apologize for not getting the update out sooner. Last week was a week of community services and meals, turkey frying with the fire department, and then a few days of much needed vacation camping with Bailey and Erica.

I had talked to several people and had found myself still unsure of how to proceed. After a lot of prayer and rummaging through the scriptures, I decided to open our church meeting last week with the opening words of the third chapter of Ecclesiastes:

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to throw away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

After reading these words to them, I reminded them of a little bit of their history. How they had been an important part of the community for more than 100 years. How people had come to faith and grown in their faith through the services and teachings that had happened through multiple generations. I emphasized the impact that this church has historically had on the kingdom of God. I told them that there was a lot to be grateful for.

Then I told them about the year we were facing. How we are spending (just basic expenses...no programs or special activities) more than $4,000.00 than we are bringing in each year. How the person heading the trustee work (facilities management, maintenance, etc) is hospitalized and probably won't be able to return to those duties. Additionally, I explained that I had accepted the resignation of the individual that had been teaching Sunday school for numerous years (not to mention playing the piano and keeping the books).

With all of the cards on the table, I reminded them of the scripture passage that I had opened with and explained to them that the difficulty of this conversation we were embarking on was that we had to discern what time it was for this church.

After a few moments of silence, I asked if anyone present would be willing to step up into serving in one of the many areas that was going to be needed for the next year. No one offered to serve.

I returned to the discussion about discerning what time it was and told those that had gathered what I had been hearing. How some just wanted the church to be there for when they die...that way it would be their church that buried them...the same church that baptized them. I explained that a couple of folks had asked me about closing or merging with another church. This lead to a discussion that was painful, passionate, sorrowful, and probably long overdue.

One of the most discerning questions was not asked by me, but by the husband of one of our members. He point blank asked them what we were going on for...especially since it had been years since the last time we were actively engaged in missions and ministry that was focused outside of our own survival.

Through tear filled eyes, several members asked about the difference between merging or just closing (in our denomination a merger transfers all of the assets to the church being merged with while a closing relinquishes everything to the Annual Conference. Many wanted to hope that there could still be a church there or that the location could be preserved for the community (especially since it is a historical marker and has significant ties for the community).

After a long discussion, consensus was reached that they would like to pursue a merger with the other church that I serve and that they would tentatively have their final worship services on the first Sunday in January of 2009.

This means that the work has just begun. In the weeks to come, I will be discussing the possibility of merger with the larger of the two churches, holding a church conference for the smaller church to make their voice and vote official before the District Superintendent, and doing what seems like a million other things that need to be done in order to walk this church through their last weeks of life.

A little more than a year ago, I attended a service of closure and deconsecration at a once very large church in Tyler. The words that still haunt me are those spoken by the DS toward the end of the liturgy where he actually said something along the lines of "I hereby deconsecrate this space and release it for uses beyond the church."

I have to admit that there is a wide range of emotions related to this endeavor. They run the gamut from numbness to expectedness, sadness to comfort, anxiety to deep reflection.

I will keep you posted as more comes to pass. At some point in the future, I will run a series of posts discussing the history of this little country church and all the wonderful ways that God has used this place. I think that it is important for us to remember and celebrate all that God has done here in the last 105 years.

In the meantime, I would kindly ask for your prayers for our continued discernment and for the strength and comfort of our members that are making these very difficult decisions.

Shalom,

Russell

No comments: