Monday, November 17, 2008

Yeserday Was a Very Sad Day

There are some things that can happen in a pastor's life that absolutely break our hearts. Yesterday was one of those days where one of those somethings happened.

One of the churches that I serve as pastor is very small...they have been very small for decadeds. In recent weeks, the health of two of the long term members of this church has headed south. One has been hospitalized or in nursing care for the better part of a month, while the other has gotten to the point that she is only able to come when her daughter is able to bring her. Add to these two, the two individuals that already reside in a nursing home permanently, our membership of 17 is already greatly hindered as far as presence goes on Sunday mornings. Many of the other members have stopped coming for health reasons as well. Add to this the fact that all activities, programs and ministry outside of Sunday morning have ceased, you begin to get an idea of the place that the church is at.

Then comes yesterday. The person that plays the piano, keeps the books, and teaches Sunday school every week said that they were going to have to give up teaching Sunday school effective January 1st. This person has asked countless times for someone to help out by either taking an occasional class or doing the books---each time everyone present respectfully declines.

To be clear 1) one person does the books, plays the piano and teaches; 2) another person opened up and took care of all of the trustee type stuff (they are currently hospitalized); 3) and there is one couple that is responsible for more than 50% of the giving (and they are aging and have talked about moving because their 100+ acre place is too much to handle); the church stands on really unsteady ground.

It is painfully obvious that we are beyond what our consultants would call decline. This particular church would be better associated with a hospice situation than anything else.

This coming Sunday begins a time of deep reflection and questioning within this declining community. It will be a time of asking some very tough questions, that I believe will bring about some even tougher answers and decisions.

Yesterday was a very sad day in the life of this church. I would ask for your prayers as we enter into the chapter that lies ahead.

3 comments:

Nate Custer said...

hey man,

I am working on a longer reply for your last blog post and I was someone who said that being a methodist pastor was really about hospice (in a semi derogatory tone), but this was really sad to read. I am currently struggling with what it means to say: "I will keep you in my prayers" ... but I am sure that reading this makes me want to take you out for a long cup of coffee.

You have my cell, if you find yourself troubled late at night about this, I work the graveyard shift, and am happy to listen any time you need to talk.

Nate

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry my friend. The people at that little church are very sweet and always have treated us very kindly... I know how hard this must be for you and for them - you'll be in my prayers this week. Give me a call and let me know how next sunday goes.

D-$ said...

I know how much this has weighed on you over the past several weeks and months and while I agree with Nate that "you're in my prayers" may sound a tad bit trite at times, know that I mean it. I love you bro and am grateful for you in my life and the example of perseverance that you have often shown to me. I know that whatever decision has to be made it will be one led by God and wise in the final outcome. You know I too am always here to bounce ideas off of...