Tuesday, December 16, 2008

More Church Closing News

I know that many of my readers are praying for me and the smaller of the two congregations that I serve as we continue to take steps towards merging with the larger church. And since I have already endeavored to track this process on my blog, I thought I would pass along the latest installment.

Within the United Methodist Church, nothing of this magnitude is official until there is a special meeting called a Church Conference meeting where the District Superintendent is present for an official vote. We had such a meeting at the little church this past Monday. The discussion was limited this go round, and the vote was decisive. The motion passed unanimously to merge with the larger church and it passed without hesitation.

This last meeting was much more surreal than the first meeting. Maybe that is because it was just an acknowledgment of the death that has already taken hold. Perhaps it is because we have moved more into acceptance in our grieving and we have less anger and denial. Regardless of the emotion of the moment (either in their pastor or in the congregation), it is still a bit of a roller coaster ride.

From this point on, I am hoping it will be pretty straight forward. I have already had a conversation with the leadership of the larger church and the consensus was that they would accept the merger when it came time for them to vote. We have weighed the pros and cons, examined the assets and the liabilities, and thought through the next action steps as they relate to the stewardship of these resources.

From here, worship services will be suspended (no longer to take place) at the smaller church after January 4th. Anyone out there want to preach this church closing sermon!?!

After the little church ceases services, we will have another specially called Church Conference at the larger church on January 11th to take an official vote with the DS present on the merger. If that vote is a yes, property and assets and memberships will transfer immediately. If for some reason the larger church declines this opportunity, the conference will take over the little church and be responsible for the disposal or transfer of any assets as they see fit.

I expect that the larger church will still welcome the smaller one with open arms...there seems to be too much history between the two churches for anything else to make sense or take place.

Personally, I have been told a dozen times if I have been told once that this is not my fault. The fact of the matter, however, is that it is happening on my watch. There is a part of me that realizes that this is due to decisions that have been taking place for decades. But that doesn't keep the human being in me at complete bay...what if I would have...what if we could have...what if a different pastor had...to say that these thoughts don't cross my mind would be to suggest that there is no humanity left in me at all. That is simply not the case.

I know that there is a lot for me to learn in this process. I know that God still has incredible things planned for my ministry. I know that a lot of good has come from my ministry here at the little church (including a couple of folks professing their faith)...God continues to move, even in the darkest valleys.

I welcome your continued prayers as we trudge this road of faith.

2 comments:

Kerry Sumpter Smith said...

seems to me a closing sermon should be like an Easter sermon because Jesus is not dead, God is still working, moving, and ALIVE!

Kurt M. Boemler said...

I understand what you're going through, to an extent. A year after I got to my SLP charge I had to be the pastor to see the closing of a day care ministry that had been in the church for 6 years or so. I didn't feel like it was my fault, but there were several who held the opinion that it was. The thing was, it was the only ministry of the church. When it was gone, we had nothing.

But death preceeds resurrection. a year an a half later we have a huge and active children's program, a men's group and a woman's group, and a youth program.

It'll be different, but it'll be better. That's my take.