Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vacation Worship and Christian Resurgence Circle

There are some pastors and church staff members that I know, that when they go on vacation, they don't want to be anywhere near a church. There are others, myself included, that look forward to opportunities to be among the worshiping body without the responsibility of preaching, teaching or leading in any way...an opportunity to just go, be, and receive.

My original plan (I know, I know...I plan, God laughs!) was to visit CRC (Christian Resurgence Circle---my friend Nate would say, "think house church") and a couple of other different worship venues throughout the course of the week. I would get the opportunity to participate in corporate worship without the responsibilities of preaching, teaching or leading and that would be a great thing. So what happened to my plan? Simply put, I found no better place to be last week than at CRC. I found that after my time with these wonderful folks, I didn't hunger to go anywhere else.

Now perhaps this was because I was getting reconnected in nature and through talking and hanging out with friends...or perhaps it was because I just needed some down time and the time I spent alone was as filling as the time I spent with people...or perhaps it is simply because God showed up in the first place I chose to worship! I think it was a little bit of all of it.

My going to CRC was multifaceted; that is to say, the facts regarding my wanting to worship corporately without leading are true, but they are not the only reasons. I have a genuine fascination with varying expressions of faith and "the Church". I wanted to go as much as a student as I did as a worshiper and learn what was happening in this place. I knew that and I think Nate knew that too.

I don't have enough time to go into all of the things I want to cover involving CRC (I have to leave in a minute to go to my medical first responders certification class...VFD stuff) right now, but will be posting more about this group either later this evening or tomorrow. There is much to learn and much to share from my time there. I simply want to leave you with this note of heads up and to say that I am grateful for the grace, hospitality, and authenticity that you all (CRC) extended to me while I was there in your midst...it was a real blessing to me and my faith journey!

No comments: