Thursday, August 14, 2008

Breakfast with Nate

One of the things that I loved about my vacation is the time that I got to spend with a few friends of mine that I don't get to see very often. My habit, when I return to Houston, is often to try and see everyone that I know and that can make for a very hectic schedule; one that is impossible to fulfill. So instead of setting myself up to be run ragged and feel like a failure because I didn't get to see everyone, I intentionally kept my schedule down to just meeting with a handful of folks...folks that it had been an especially long time since I had been able to sit down and talk with in person. One of these friends was Nate.

Now many of you have only encountered Nate through my blog postings...you have seen me go on some theological rant or rave that ended in a question or two...only to be followed by often pointed and almost always sarcastic responses from Nate (yes, the comment about baby bashing in worship as a comparison to patriotic displays in worship around the 4th of July was both pointed and sarcastic).

I had to laugh at Nate's latest comment (and of course call him and harass him a bit on the phone) which you can read at the end of my posting entitled "A Day at the Beach". If you want to know about authentic friendship and having someone in your life that will tell it to you the way they see it...that is the kind of relationship that Nate and I have. We don't always agree, but we have a good time processing the disagreements!

It is a sure sign of aging (again, mine, not Nate's) when you can't even remember when and where you met. Nate reminded me that we had taken a class at U of H together, so our encounters at retreats and the like were much later encounters. This was just one more reminder of how fast time moves, but also, how intentionality can sustain friendships over great time and distances.

When Nate and I attempted to meet for breakfast, I had gone too far the wrong direction for the first restaurant we were supposed to meet at when my phone rang with Nate on the other end of the line (I still say the map they had posted on the web was wrong---but more likely, it was operator error on my part!). Apparently the original place we were going didn't open until 11 and we were trying to meet at 10, so he picked another place. I promptly turned around thinking that I remembered the general location of Cafe Brazil (I think that was the name of the place, but Nate will comment and correct me if I am wrong...I hope) , but proceeded to drive right past it. I called Nate and he graciously stood on the corner of the overgrown intersection to flag me down and get me where I was supposed to be. So after a comedy of errors (on my part, of course) we were able to sit down to a wonderful omelet and some even more wonderful coffee and have a conversation.

One of the things I love most is being able to probe and ask questions. And Nate was more than a good sport about all of my inquisitions into the CRC gathering I had participated in a couple of nights earlier and into all of the other work that he was involved with (both vocationally and as an avocation).

We talked about the Bering Academy, Hawthorne, CRC, theology and missions in general, and more. I know that he doesn't labor at Hawthorne alone (a program to feed and build community with street kids), but I am still amazed at the vision that he has for that place and for meeting the needs of this community. It was the little touches like serving this community on real plates and using real silverware that mesmerized me. As was alluded to in our conversation, anyone can slap some hot dogs or a lasagna onto paper plates and place it in front of kids that live on the streets and point them towards the trash can when they are done...but it is a genuine sign of hospitality and sacrificial service to serve the food family style (in real dishes, with real serving spoons, etc) onto real plates, with drinks in real glasses and then be willing to do the dishes week in and week out. Not to mention that it is not just a fast food mentality in the meals that are prepared, but rather a full meal (bread, veggies, main dish, etc).

While some would say that everything costs something, this meal is a genuine act of grace. The kids aren't preached to, taught, or otherwise manipulated while being captives of such a generous meal. Rather, conversations are started and allowed to go where they will. The adage most often attributed to St. Francis about preaching or sharing the gospel and only sometimes using words comes to mind here. It appears that the actions of this group of faithful disciples speak louder than any words that they could offer to these kids.

As is customary regarding time spent with Nate, our breakfast ran over into the lunch hour...time really does fly when you're having fun! We finished our coffee, hugged, and said our goodbyes.

There is something in each of us, I believe, that thirsts for connection, community, dialog, understanding, and grace. Very often it is God that we most need; but even more often, it is God's agents that we first encounter. At least for me, it is only after the encounter that we recognize God's presence within or through God's agents. I needed someone to commune with, I needed someone to think outside of the box with, I needed someone to stretch me; and I am grateful that Nate was available and willing.

While I am sure that there are many encounters during my week away from the sometimes grind of ministry that nurtured me, I am especially grateful for my time with Nate.

No comments: