Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday Afternoon - Still The First Day

I was really disappointed this afternoon. After traipsing around downtown for a number of hours today, I decided that I would stop by a little art gallery on the way back to the house. It was about 3:30 in the afternoon and I was looking forward to visiting an installation that my friend Kathy had on display. As I arrived I encountered a locked door. Being completely stubborn, I opted to enter into an adjoining office and inquire about viewing the artwork. The folks in the office contacted a lady that offices somewhere else in the building and she greeted me and told me that the gallery was closed early in preparation for “Eduard” ($%*$%&!). Apparently, the gallery was concerned that the storm might cause damage to nearby trees and come through the windows of the gallery. As a precaution, things (where possible) were moved away from the windows in anticipation of a bad storm.

After a couple of minutes of begging and pleading, the nice lady let me in for a quick peek at the installations (after all, I had come almost 200 miles and wanted to see the exhibit before it closed on Friday). She explained to me that they would be back open the day after the storm and that at that time all of the lights and effects would be turned back on (apparently one of the installations has words that comes out of it…I am sorry I missed that).

The larger of the two pieces was quite impressive (and massive). I only wished I would have had longer to be in its presence and ponder it.

Although the storm turned out to be a great big dud (especially for Houston---minus some much needed rain of course), I am still grateful for having had the opportunity to experience one of my friends pieces in person. I am looking forward to the next showing that I might be able to get back too.

If you would like to check out her work, you can view some of it on her blog here:
http://kathrynkelley.blogspot.com/2008/08/gnawing-hunger.html

No comments: