Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Renaming God

Perhaps one of the most challenging issues for me in my seminary career involves the way that we call upon (name) God and represent God with analogies. Many of my colleagues (and some of the staff) thought that we should reconsider how we talk to and about God.

Everything from Father, Son and Holy Spirit; to Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer; to Source, Wellspring, and Living Water (courtesy of D. Cunningham); and so on, have been utilized to both name and describe analogously both who God is and what God does.

Feminists often cite the oppression of patriarchy as the reason to make the move to gender neutral or feminine pronouns for God, while other groups cite inclusiveness (perhaps the image of "Father" is a bad one because someone has had a bad experience with an earthly father) to make similar moves.

Here's the question: Is such a move necessary?

This topic has come up again recently, and somewhat heatedly in the blogosphere and in personal conversations, because of a Christian fiction entitled The Shack (you can click here to read a short and longer version of a review by Tim Challies---or you can click here to get a different take on the book by Greg Boyd).

In this story, the main character (Mack) encounters God in the same shack where his little girl had been murdered after an abduction. In this fictional work, God the Father is presented as an African American woman, God the Son is presented as a 30-something male carpenter, and God the Holy Spirit is presented as a humorous (Greg uses the words 'etherial' and 'hilarious' to describe her) Asian woman.

As I was going through my daily blogs today, I noticed that Tim had posted a quote from Bruce Waltke’s Old Testament Theology. Here is part of what Tim quoted (to read the entire post called Quote - Inexcusable Hubris, click here ---it is a short one!):

"We cannot change God’s names, titles, or metaphors without committing idolatry, for we will have reimagined him in a way other than the metaphors and the incarnation by which he revealed himself. His representations and incarnation are inseparable from his being."

What do you all think?

Please leave your comments about the following questions:

Should we (and can we) change the names, titles, and metaphors that we have for God? Why or why not?

In a few days I will post some more snippets of comments and my own continuing thoughts on the matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russell,
Since starting seminary, I too have been challenged by the notion of gender neutral language for God and changing the names and/or titles we use for God. I personally do not have a problem with referring to God as Father and Jesus Christ as Son because that is what the tradition and scriptures have held for over two thousand years. I understand that there are many people out there who have been hurt, neglected or abused by their earthly fathers and somehow project that image onto God. I did not have a great relationship with my dad growing up and for me, the image of God as a loving Father who loves unconditionally brought me great comfort. I believe as pastors we need to be very cognizant and empathetic towards people's images of God that have been shaped by their experiences, but I also believe we can present to these and others a loving, redemptive God as Father. After reading Julian of Norwich, I have come to see Jesus Christ not only as God's Son, but as a loving mother image as well. Jesus had many characteristics of a mother who gives and loves sacrificailly and unconditionally, however, I do not think we need to start refering to the trinity as Father, Mother and Holy Spirit. Like you, I continue to struggle with this, but I do not believe we should start renaming God. I do think, however, that conversation about this topic is necessary.
Blessings!
Penny Mitchell

Kurt M. Boemler said...

I'm down with using metaphors to explain God's being and action. However, every tool--physical or cognitive--can be used for both good and evil--intentionally and unintentionally. For example of the bad, I'm not a fan of McFague's idea that the world is God's body. What may have started out as a good-intentioned and imaginative way of trying to understand God's providence turns into something that, in my estimate, is indistinguishable from pantheism.

All metaphors regarding God outside the canonical heritage of the church--however useful they may be or seem--must remain secondary to scriptural understanding of God's self-revelation to humanity.

There's my 1/20 of a buck.

- Kurt