Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Doing No Harm

Doing no harm is more difficult than it seems sometimes!

There are situations that I am sure we all encounter, where the very first thought or easiest course of action is to lash out at the individuals that are involved. Obviously, anger is not the best way to react or interact with anyone...it is harmful (violating both the first and second General Rules) and gets us absolutely nowhere.

So what do you do in situations where expectations aren't met? Is it different if the situation involves a contract between you and someone else? What do you think are some good guidelines for doing no harm in these type situations?

Let me have all of your non-harmful conflict resolution thoughts!

Peace,

Russell

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Begin by asking questions. "When I asked for ‘this’ what did you understand that to mean? ...." If you really want to amp up the diplomacy, you can say "Perhaps I didn't explain things as clearly as I should have, but what I was expecting was..." The things we feel the most passionate about will garner the strongest reaction from us. Must exercise self control!