Saturday, July 26, 2008

Doing No Harm - The Follow Up

Last week I wrote about a situation that talked about expectations and what to do when those expectations aren't met.

I had some sound wisdom come from my friend at Just Enough Grace for Today and thought I would just follow up with how I handled the situation.

First, I prayed...I prayed for several days before I even sat down to write out my responses.

Second, I sought wise council. Limiting my conversation to just a couple of people that I trust immensely, I advised them of the situation and asked for their input.

Third, I listened. This is perhaps the most difficult of the steps, but I truly listened to what they had to say and incorporated the feedback into the process that follows.

Fourth, I wrote. Because this was a contractual issue and communication was being done via email, it was imperative that I didn't begin with this step. Had I started writing (which is what I wanted to do...yes, even though I knew better...to begin with) first, the results would have been dramatically different and caused harm.

Fifth, I left what I had written alone for a day.

Sixth, I went back and edited the communication piece for both content and size. I was intentional about being clear with what I had expected in the beginning and where the current circumstance had fallen short of those expectations. I didn't use pejorative terms or attack the individual. Instead, I remained professional. At the end of the document I outlined my expectations for the future of our interactions.

The result was a lively, but professional, response and the opportunity for continuing dialog both via email and in person. No hard feelings, no additional harm done, at least to date :o)

Sometimes it is better for everyone involved to take a few deep breaths and think and pray before moving forward. I have not always succeeded in doing this.

I think the only thing that I would add to the list of things that I did would be to get someone else to proof what was written before it was sent.

Are there things that you would do differently?

No comments: