Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Independence vs. In-dependence

Earlier this week I posted a blog asking your thoughts about the Fourth of July as it relates to the church. How much influence should we allow this holiday to have in our worship services on the weekends that surround the 4th?

Here are some of the comments that were left regarding the extent of influence that July 4th should have on our worship services:

"I just bristle at folks that seem to equate 'American Christianity' with 'so much better than everyone else'." --Ben

"Perhaps celebrating July 4th is a way of acknowledging to God our thankfulness for living in a country where we can practice our faith freely." --Tammy

"If a church wants to do a patriotic celebration I'm all for it. But please don't do it in a worship service...don't create synchretism by mixing patriotism with Christianity." --Pete the Brit

"I will have a separate celebration, but I won't even call it a worship service (because the point of that kind of service is not to gather together to honor God, but to gather to celebrate ourselves..." --Cynthia

"Even though we would never say anything like it, I struggle with the inference that the kingdom of God is somehow equated to the kingdom of the USA." --Jessica

The comments just keep rolling in! There simply isn't enough room to list snippets from all of them, but you can view the comments in their entirety (and I encourage this---there is some great stuff here) at the bottom of the previous blog posting!

So now you are asking yourself where do I weigh in, right!?!

Let me first say that I can appreciate the opinion of those that feel it is alright to have a patriotic worship service. I can appreciate it because although there were relatively few comments in support of such an act, I pastor two churches in East Texas where that is the general understanding...it is alright to have worship that is patriotic...many would agree that it could be a way in which we show our gratitude toward God for our freedoms (including our freedom to worship).

While I can appreciate that point of view, I cannot bring myself to completely agree. Perhaps it is because I have seen 'patriotic' worship done so poorly (as many of you all have commented how it is often prone to take the focus off of God and place it towards ourselves) or perhaps it is because of something deeper.

For me, I think it really boils down to the difference between 'Independence' and 'In-Dependence'.

You see, 'Independence' relates to the ideology that I am my own (or corporately, we are our own). I don't know about you, but this line of thinking gets me into trouble. It is the root of my consumerism, consumption, self-serving, self-centeredness, egotism, etc. The thought that I don't need, or am not dependent upon anything or anyone else can lead me down some dark paths. Over the years, it has also gotten many countries and churches into trouble.

'In-dependence', on the other hand, reminds me that I am not my own (we are not our own). I am (we are) dependent upon Christ. If there is anything good or holy in me (us), it is because of the grace of God...not because of something I did (or we did).

Perhaps,then, the question of identity is somehow wrapped up in all of this. Do we view ourselves based upon our country of residence or do we understand ourselves as Christians first?

I can't help but think of the passage in Galatians (3:28-29) which states: "There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male or female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to the promise."

First and foremost we are children of God. Everything else---our identities as mothers, fathers, children, Americans, etc---everything else is secondary. It seems to me that that ought to be clear in our discipleship and in our worship. Anything that takes the focus off of God or seeks to place our other identities ahead of our identity as children of God, I think should be left out of worship.

Ministry, as my friend Wademan reminds us, however, is messy and contextual. To negate the feelings or cultural understandings of my two congregations is problematic to say the least.

So how am I handling this Fourth of July weekend?

First, I am participating as a pastor and community member in a community gathering on Friday, July 4th, where I will be giving the invocation/opening prayer. It is taking place at our local community center and is a patriotic celebration...not a worship service. I will help out with the video and slide show projection and then head out to help light fireworks and continue to celebrate the 4th with our community.

Second, on Sunday morning we will worship without the use of any of the patriotic hymns (America, America the Beautiful, etc). I will utilize the prayer for Independence Day (#442 in the United Methodist Book of Worship) that recognizes God's sovereignty over all the peoples of the earth and asks for God's guidance for the leaders of all nations. I will be preaching a sermon that talks about life in the Spirit (Romans 8:1-11), followed by Communion and that's it. This is perhaps easier this year because the 4th doesn't fall on Sunday or Monday. I am sure that in those years where the 4th does fall on a Sunday or Monday, greater consideration will have to be given to the matter.

At any rate, this is the best way that I can figure to do ministry in the context of my community and my own understandings of being Christian. It allows me to remain connected to the community and the community's patriotism (which probably exceeds my own), while maintaining my theological integrity (at least I hope).

With many more years of ministry ahead of me (God willing!) I am sure that this wrestling match is far from finished. I thank you for your contributions thus far (I really like the hymnody service idea...perhaps I could get permission to use it in the future!?!) and I look forward to our ongoing journey together.

No comments: