Sunday, November 28, 2010

November 28, 2010

Here is today's prayer:

An Intimate Conversation With God
A Prayer by Thomas A Kempis
O most sweet and loving Lord, whom I now devoutly wish to receive, you know my weaknesses and my needs. You know how many bad habits and vices I have. You know how often I am burdened, tempted, shaken and stained by sin. I come to you for healing. I pray to you for comfort and support. I speak to you, who know all things, to whom all my inmost thoughts are evident. You alone can adequately comfort me and help me. You know what good things I need most, and you know how poor I am in virtue.

Look! I stand before you poor and naked, asking your grace and imploring your mercy. Feed me, for I am hungry. Inflame my coldness with the fire of your love. Illuminate my blindness with the light of your presence. Make all that leads me from you not worth thinking about. Make me forget it all. Lift up my heart to you in heaven, and let me not wander aimlessly about the world. From now on, you will be my only delight, for you alone are my food and drink, my love and joy, my sweetness and my whole good.

Oh, that by your presence you would set me fully on fire, totally consume me and transform me into you, so that through the grace of inner union and by melting in love's flames I would become one spirit with you. Do not leave me hungry and thirsty, but treat me mercifully as you have so often and so admirably treated your saints. How wonderful it would be if I were burned and wholly consumed for you, since you are a fire always burning and never consuming, a love that purifies the heart and enlightens the mind. Amen.

No comments: