Wednesday, August 5, 2009

August 5, 2009

Today's prayer is the last in the series from Richard Foster's book Prayer - Finding The Heart's True Home. It is from Foster's chapter on Authoritative Prayer. Again, if this series of prayers has provoked your thought, growth in your prayer life, or simply your curiosity, I highly recommend this book to your reading.

Here is today's prayer:

In the strong name of Jesus Christ I stand against the world, the flesh, and the devil. I resist every force that would seek to distract me from my center in God. I reject the distorted concepts and ideas that make sin plausible and desirable. I oppose every attempt to keep me from knowing full fellowship with God.

By the power of the Holy Spirit I speak directly to the thoughts, emotions, and desires of my heart and command you to find your satisfaction in the infinite variety of God's love rather than the bland diet of sin. I call upon the good, the true, and the beautiful to rise up within me and the evil to subside. I ask for an increase of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.

By the authority of almighty God I tear down Satan's strongholds in my life, in the lives of those I love, and in the society in which I live. I take into myself the weapons of truth, righteousness, peace, salvation, the word of God, and prayer. I command every evil influence to leave; you have no right here and I allow you no point of entry. I ask for an increase of faith, hope, and love so that, by the power of God, I can be a light set on a hill, causing truth and justice to flourish.

These things I pray for the sake of him who loved me and gave himself for me. Amen.

Prayer - Finding The Heart's True Home, pg. 242 - Richard J. Foster

No comments: