Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Preparing for the sixth Sunday after the Epiphany - Psalm 119:1-8

Psalm 119[a]

א Aleph

Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
    who walk according to the law of the Lord.
Blessed are those who keep his statutes
    and seek him with all their heart—
they do no wrong
    but follow his ways.
You have laid down precepts
    that are to be fully obeyed.
Oh, that my ways were steadfast
    in obeying your decrees!
Then I would not be put to shame
    when I consider all your commands.
I will praise you with an upright heart
    as I learn your righteous laws.
I will obey your decrees;
    do not utterly forsake me.
 
 
Just a reminder that Psalm 119 is one of the acrostic psalms; meaning that each section (stanza) begins with successive letters of the Hebrew alphabet.  Even more interesting is the fact that the verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
This psalm ties blessedness and connection to God to our obedience of God's decrees and teachings, very much echoing the words read in Deuteronomy yesterday.  In yesterday's verse there was a charge by God against God's people and it is easily understood that God is not only pointing out the flaws of his people's obedience, but God is also exhorting them to change in that moment.
The psalmist, however, appears to be coming to the same point from an educational type of religious experience.  He recognizes that those who follows God's decrees are blessed. He recognizes that God has intentionally laid down these precepts so that they might be followed.  Then there is the post self examination that convicts the psalmist of his own shortcomings...""Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!"  If only I had done this.  If only I had done that, then I (the psalmist says) would not be put to shame.  The psalmist recognizes that he has more to learn and he commits to praising God, learning what he needs to, and obeying more fully the precepts that God has placed before him.
Can we have the same conviction to name our shortcomings to God?  Are we prepared to invite God to teach us what else we need to learn about God's decrees?  Can we re-commit to God our allegiance and obedience like the psalmist did?  I hope and I pray that it can be so.

No comments: