Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Chaos of Life

It has been 19 days since my last post to the blogosphere...what can I say, life happens.

In an attempt to get back into the grove of writing, I thought that I would just drop a note to update what has happened in the past 3 weeks.

In the school realm, my last year of seminary is in full swing. I am currently doing a 9 month internship at the larger of the two churches that I have served for the past 3 years. In addition to the folks that are participating on my internship committee from my church, there are 3 from a larger church in a nearby town (where my internship mentor is appointed). There are weekly papers and meetings in addition to full time ministry.

On the fire department front, I recently completed my 6 weeks of ECA/First Responder training and am waiting to take my National Registry test to complete the certification process. I am scheduled to test on October 1st and 12:15. This certification will permit me to run on medical calls even when there are no other medical personnel present. I will have completed all the necessary written and skills testing to perform CPR, oxygen administration, bandaging, splinting, etc. It is the lowest level of medical training (right under EMT Basic) but covers all of the Basic Life Saving techniques necessary for what we encounter in medical and trauma calls with the fire department. In addition to all of this, we have just held the grand opening (after many hours of work) for our new station 1.

On the church front, we have recently had a couple of people join the church (one by profession of faith), held our annual health fair, begun our fall Bible study, embarked on missions work with the youth to provide health kits to Southeast Texas suffering from the effects of Ike and school supplies to Christmas and surrounding islands, voted to approve our consultation report recommendations (and delegated the work to the appropriate groups/teams), voted on a new leadership structure to be implemented in January (more streamlined), and sold some land that we don't use to help solidify the finances of the church.

On the home front, Erica has begun her volunteer work with Alpha Chi Omega (and seems to be enjoying it). Bailey is really walking well now and eating with a fork (she is already growing up way too fast!). The dog and the cat are the normal obnoxiously loving and needy children that they have always been. While we didn't experience any effects of Ike, we did have a flood in our hallway this week from our AC unit...after a couple of phone calls and a bunch of wet towels, the AC man showed up and fixed all the problems.

So as you can see, there have been no catastrophes, just life...but there has been a lot of it in the last three weeks.

So what's going on in your world?

1 comment:

jsbh said...

From a fellow AXO advisor and UMC member - thanks Erica for volunteering with AXO! LITB and God Bless