Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Literary Meme

A friend tagged me with the following literary meme:

The rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people and acknowledge who tagged you.

"While Marge's response may be perceived as short and curt, it also conveys the impression that one's choice of religion is based on more than the religion's rituals. The League was not persuaded by this response, commenting sarcastically in its newsletter, "Now why didn't we think of that? Just goes to show how thoughtful the Hollywood gang really is."

From the Gospel According to The Simpsons by Mark I. Pinsky.

I have to admit that the nearest book was actually a children's book of Bailey's with far less than 123 pages in it!

If you read this, then consider yourself tagged (and leave me a comment so I know to go read your post!).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"If only the meaning of the story were that people sin but God forgives, I could easily begin to think of my sins as a fine occasion for God to show me his forgiveness. There would be no real challenge in such an interpretation. I would resign myself to my weakness and keep hoping that eventually God would close his eyes to them and let me come home, whatever I did."

"The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouwen

Kurt M. Boemler said...

"O God, your love was embodied in Jesus Christ, who washed his disciples' feet on the night of his betrayal. Wash us from the stain of sin, so that, in the hours of danger, we may not fail, but follow your Son through every trial, and praise him always as Lord and Christ, to whom be glory now and forever. Amen."

A prayer for Holy Thursday: Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and Cumberland Presbyterian Church in "This Day: A Wesleyan Way of Prayer" by Laurence Hull Stookey.